These days, everybody and their mother shares their thoughts and ideas about morning rituals or, in other words, „how to wake up and have a beautiful first couple of hours of the day“.
And since I’ve been working on my own morning routine for a while now, I thought it couldn’t hurt to throw one more article on the topic in the mix… right?
So here’s what my ideal mornings look like in my head:
1) Wake up early and start off with some mindfulness/gratitude exercise, ideally with my eyes still closed
2) Get up, drink a glass of warm water
3) 30 min aerial yoga practice
4) 10 min meditation
5) Another glass of warm water (if you’ve heard of the warm water & lemon hype: go for it! I don’t, because I’m fructose intolerant and even if I can digest a small amount of fructose, I don’t wanna stress out my digestive tract first thing in the morning)
6) First (xxl) cup of coffee. Finally!
7) Read something inspiring. Brainstorm. Visualize. Check e-mails.
8) Healthy breakfast
… everything after that depends on my schedule that day.
… aaand here’s what this morning actually looked like:
1) Woke up, slapped my light alarm clock (that makes it snooze)
2) Switched on my iPhone with my eyes still half closed. Checked e-mails, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest. Snoozed again. Twice, at least.
3) Heavily rolled out of bed. Glass of water.
4) 30 min aerial yoga practice.
5) Postponed meditation to the afternoon
6) Glass of warm water, supplement
7) First (xxl cup of) coffee. Started my computer, read e-mails and blogs, wasted a little time on Facebook
8) Healthy breakfast
And now it’s time for the fun part – the „mix your own routine“ construction kit!
I’ve collected a variety of elements that all might be worth experimenting with for you to pick from. Take as few or as many as you like. I would recommend to choose at least one thing that feeds your soul (meditation, journaling, browsing Pinterest, or watch TED talks or baby animal videos, if that’s your thing) and one thing that feeds your body (maybe it’s a complete breakfast, maybe it’s coffee and a smoothie or a piece of fruit to go – whatever makes your body happy).
Also, feel free to arrange them in an order that feels right for you, and to add your own of course. And then let me know in the comments what your very own morning ritual looks like :) Here we go:
Mindfulness & gratitude exercises:
- Write a journal (or morning pages as described in Julia Cameron’s „The Artist’s Way)
- Even better: Write a gratitude jorunal (basically it’s just writing down everything – as in EVERY. LITTLE. THING you’re greatful for in that very moment)
- Some kind of meditation
- Say a prayer
- Subscribe to Danielle LaPorte’s Daily Truthbombs and then each day, meditate on the newest one in your inbox, or just take it with you as an inspiring thought for the day.
Or, if you prefer a non-digital version of this practice, you can order a deck of printed Truthbombs and then pull a card every morning. Works with angel cards, too. Or with whatever kind of cards you like.
- Try to find something you can look forward to in that day
Some kind of gentle (or not so gentle, if that’s not your thing) exercise:
- Aerial yoga
- Walk the dog
- Warm water
- Warm water with lemon
- Fresh juice
- Green smoothie
- Any kind of smoothie actually
- Protein shake
(A little more) solid fuel:
- Microwave scrambled eggs
- Overnight oats. There are so many different versions that it’s almost impossible to not find one you like. Unless you don’t like oats, that is ;)
I will definitely try this one at some point: Brownie Batter Overnight Protein Oatmeal/
- (Healthy) cookies for breakfast, anyone? Check out my friend Helen’s Peanut Butter Protein Cookies
- Read one or two articles in your favorite magazine
- Feed the cat/dog
- Hit the snooze button (sometimes that’s all you can manage… believe me, I know!)
- Listen to music that makes you feel good, and while you’re at it, have a 30 seconds dance party with yourself
- Smile at yourself in the mirror
- Take an extra long shower
- Run a bath
- Massage your body with a massage brush
- Watch a TED talk – highly recommended!
Now it’s your turn! What would you add to my list, what does your morning look like, and is there anything you want to change about it?